Hier kun je al je vragen, problemen en stellingen kwijt met betrekking tot het zelf samenstellen voeding.

Moderator: Lizzy

Door Luc
Hallo lui,

Op één van de yahoogroups waar ik lid van ben wordt momenteel "Dogs: A Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior & Evolution" van Ray Coppinger besproken.
Coppinger himself geeft gedurende de maand november antwoord op allerlei vragen. Volgende passages over "eating habits in livestock guardian dogs" wou ik met jullie delen:

(Q= vraag C= Commentaar A= Antwoord van Coppinger)

Question about eating habits in livestock guardian dogs
Q: I am just wondering if you have any ideas why so many livestock guardian dogs are such inconsistent eaters. It seems to be very common that they are not very interested in food, and sometimes won't eat for a day or two for no particular reason.
Marlene

Q: And why do most of mine seem to need to carry the darned bucket away from ANY spot you leave it for them --- Badger (GP) goes up to ¾ mile with his "take-out" dinner.
Robert D. in KY

C: actually, when I picked my Pyr up from the sheep farm they were also looking for his food dish and they jokingly said "have to search for his dish every day, never know where he has taken it". At my home he has substituted the old behavior with taking things up on the bed.
Marlene

A: I find that these breeds have been raised for centuries on really low quality food -- and supposedly they are adapted to that kind of diet.
So if they are fed too much or too rich they get finicky. I'm not sure that is the right answer -- but I think many of the health problems in these dogs are toooo rich a diet. I think many of the behavioural problems in these dogs is tooooo rich a diet.
Ray Coppinger

C: I have heard that for example in Turkey Anatolian Shepherds are fed a diet consisting mostly of bread/grain products which is supplemented with some milk, afterbirth, the occasional deceased animal or something the dog kills itself. Is that what you have seen?
Somehow I always expected that dogs will eat when something is available as one never knows when there will be another opportunity.
Marlene

C: I find this very interesting, coming from such an authority! I agree but most of the "dog people" I run into don't credit the idea of diet affecting behaviour. I have found that since we started feeding raw (plain?) foods versus kibble to our 15 Pyrs, they do have slightly different behaviours, and they ALL eat well, and are no longer picky. I am fascinated by this book as it has helped me so much with the three "packs" of Pyrs that I have...I hope to learn much more this month!
Peggy Watson

A: Loogit -- there is all kinds of data out there for many different animal species including humans that diet effects behavior. Also keep in mind that to effect a change in behavior during some developmental period can change the dogs behavior for the rest of its life -- regardless of the subsequent diet. I think (know) that feeding these big dogs to rich puppy diet can change the bone density (less) of long bones for instance which changes their gait (behavior) as adults. That is just a one "for instance"
I could tell diet stories for hours.
Ray Coppinger
Door Helen
Wow, waar is dit forum, ze hebben het over Pyrs=pyreneese herders. Wie is diegene die het commentaar geeft? Die wil ik spreken!!!!!!!!!!!!!ze heeft 15 Pyrs,gaafffffff.

groetjes Helen
Door Luc
Helen schreef: O, nee toch, of toch pyreneese berghonden, balen....
Het gaat hier inderdaad over Grote Pyreneese berghonden, Maremmo, Kuvasz, Anatolische herders, enz...

Luc
Door roger
In ieder geval Luc, wat daar staat over die Anatolische herders dat klopt want dat heb ik in centraal Turkije zelf gezien.
Maar zo ging het vroeger , pakweg 40 - 50 jaar geleden (of langer)bij ons ook.
De meeste van die boerderij honden die scharrelden voor 70 tot 80 % zelf hun kostje bijeen.
Trouwens iets in die aard schrijft JdBL ook in haar boek daar waar ze het heeft op de schamele maaltijden van de Schotse collies.

De maremma's in Italie krijgen gegarandeerd de overschot van de herders hun spaghetti, en de rest zoeken ze zelf wel uit.

ik zag onlangs nog een reportage over de Inuits, hun honden kregen de "leftovers" van gevangen alken en toen ze op narwals gingen jagen zaten ze drie dagen zonder eten.
Laatst gewijzigd door roger op vr 07 nov 2003, 22:11, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Door Anna
Luc schreef:So if they are fed too much or too rich they get finicky. I'm not sure that is the right answer -- but I think many of the health problems in these dogs are toooo rich a diet. I think many of the behavioural problems in these dogs is tooooo rich a diet.
Nu ik weet wat "finicky" betekent (Bedankt Luc!)... vind ik het een beetje raar wat Coppinger zegt. Je zou verwachten dat die honden juist erg genieten van een deftige maaltijd! En ook dat er problemen ontstaan door "tooooo poor a diet".
Luc schreef:I find that these breeds have been raised for centuries on really low quality food -- and supposedly they are adapted to that kind of diet.
Dit vind ik een erg interessante stelling!! Weet iemand hier meer over?
Luc schreef:I could tell diet stories for hours.
Heeft hij er intussen meer verteld? Laat het ons weten... ;)

Groetjes,

Anna.
Door Luc
Anna schreef: Heeft hij er intussen meer verteld? Laat het ons weten... ;)
Het zal een week stil zijn, Coppinger is de komende week in Duitsland. Volgend weekend wordt de draad weer opgepakt.

Groetjes
Luc
 Terug naar “Vragen, Problemen en Discussie BARF”

Barfplaats wordt gesponsord door