CKCS CLUB OF NORTHERN ARIZONA
Please read this, a big danger for dogs and kids.
We have suffered a terrible, terrible tragedy last Wed. December 3rd
Two, beloved Cavaliers of mine, Haley and Zoe both ate potpourri from
a decorative basket in my living room . Within hours, they were
vomiting it, convulsing and going into total body rigidity and shock.
We took them to the after hours clinic, they had no idea what it
could be and wouldn't listen to me about them vomiting potpourri at
home and how I had such concerns about the toxic effects of it. They
treated symptoms. We transferred them to our day vet. He also
wouldn't listen to me about the potpourri theory. He said they
had "strychnine" poisoning symptoms. I kept telling him that the
potpourri was Made In India, sold by a company in California and sold
at my local WalMart. My heart told me that it was the culprit of
their condition. They declined rapidly throughout the day and we
transferred them back to the after hours clinic for a second night.
At midnight, I made the agonizing decision to put them to sleep.
Haley was in constant seizures that wouldn't stop, fluid was filling
up in her lungs, body temp was dropping on both of them, Zoe was
lying almost lifeless on the table, struggling with every breath she
took. Every muscle was completely rigid, you couldn't even move her.
I have devoted the last couple of days (now that I can get out of bed
and function) to researching my concerns with the potpourri and have
since found out I was right............there is a lab in England that
has case studies on toxic potpourri from India!! The
toxin....strychnine, which in it's commercial source, comes from a
certain tree grown in India. I am completely heart broken over this.
Please be aware of the potential toxins in any and all stuff like
this in our homes. I would've never guessed this could happen but
when I saw them both "playing" in the potpourri and then after about
two hours saw the symptoms of a poisoning, I just put two and two