Hier kun je al je vragen, problemen en stellingen kwijt met betrekking tot het zelf samenstellen voeding.

Moderator: Lizzy

Hoi, een tijdje geleden heb ik Mogens Eliasen een email gestuurd met de vraag waarom puppies gevoerd moeten worden met zoveel meer bot als de volwassen hond (ongeveer 2 maal zoveel en misschien zelfs 3 maal zoveel want dan volgens mijn calculatie op 45% bot zou neerkomen)

en hier is het antwoord van Mogens:

I think the confusion comes partially from mixing up "bones" and "bone meal", and maybe I did not explain that well enough. It is important to not overinterpret numbers. The thing is that I do NOT want you to "just take some numbers" and make them into religion... Dogs and puppies are individual and there is no standard numbers that fit all. You have to experiment with it so you can find your own standards, within an overall frame that makes sense. My recommendations are not to be taken that strictly that you can just copy numbers and believe you are doing OK....every puppy and dog has different needs.

As I hope I have explained throught the book, even the "fundamental recipe" of 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 cannot and should not be taken as a rigid dogma for what you should feed. That's why I hate to publish it as an "oracle answer" without also being able to give a full explanation of all the limitations that are associated with it - such as the fact that dogs really do not need vegetables at all! Now, I recommend adding up to 33% vegetables because I have seen so many positive effects of this, and never any negative ones. But I also know of dogs that do thrive OK on no vegetables at all, at least for shorter periods of time - most likely because they get an extremely varied diet that comes very close to representing a complete prey animal... So, my recommending up to one 1/3 vegetables in the diet cannot and should not be taken as a claim that dogs need that much vegetable in their diet... It is an oversimplification that does not give justice to the truth, but only triggers completely unnecessay disputes that have no purpose because they are based on false assumptions about the accuracy of the numbers..

The bone meal supplement to the puppy meals is meant to "cover the base" of the puppy's need for bone. I know from experience that those 10% added to the morning and noon meals will do. You don't need much more - and what you need will come naturally from the evening meal.

But that does not mean that the puppy could not handle more! And it does not mean that it could not thrive on more!

Puppies of bigger breeds should by no means grow too fast. This would call for adding more bone and vegetables - because that will reduce the amount of protein and thus reduce the growth rate....

There is also a good value in occassionally feeding a lot of bone - simply for the sake of variation and for preventing problems with the anal glands.

I hope you noticed that I said "maybe 3 times as much". I know that other people (who are trying to follow Ian Billinghurst's recommendations) feeding up to 45-50% bone in the meals - and some of them get good results. Others have problems. Personally, I feel this is overkill - and I think people should have very good reasons for going to that extreme - but I will not argue with those who have had good experiences with it....

With "twice as much" bone in the diet as for adult dogs, you are not pushing limits, but you are making sure that the puppy gets enough bone - and you are also reducing the protein contents slightly, thus contributing to prevent HD for the bigger breeds.

However, my standard AVERAGE recommendation of bone for an adult dog is about half of a third of the diet - which becomes some 15-20%. This is - again - more than what is absolutely needed, as discusssed on several occassions in the book. I know many cases of dogs getting no more than 5-10% bone in their diet - and they are doing fine. But I know of others that are getting that little - and they are not doing quite so "fine". "Minimum required" and "maximum allowed" and "recommended" are not the same - and nobody really knows where the extremes are - except that it is a fact that those limits will vary with a whole bunch of parameters we don't know very much about, at best...

Your 45% is too high and not represending what I recommend. Because I recommend an adult dog to have some 15% bone does not mean that this is what it needs. That number is less... When I say that a puppy needs about twice as much bone as an adult dog, you cannot take the 15% as base for that calculation - that would be equivalent to saying that twice as much as one apple is two oranges.

I know - this is confusing, because you like to have one number that represents what you should feed. And I cannot give you any such one number without being dishonest and leading you into wrong conclusions - that one number does not exist in any honest science. Any number presented by an honest scientist is not accurate until you know how inaccurate it is!

So, "recommended" is not a number, but a range. I thought I made it clear in the book that you have to be "sloppy" or "generous" with the math and not take it too darn seriously when it comes to accuracy of the details. This is definitely true here - it is the logarithm that counts, not the primary numbers.

You can make the range wider or you can make it narrower if you want to take into account some other factors that also influence this, such as fear of HD for a bigger breed, or an individual problem with lose stools or firm stools, or whatever other problem might cause you to reconsider those numbers. You simply have to make your own informed decisions. There is no way for anybody to provide a meaningful standard that covers all possible variations of problems that influence this.

This is why I do not want to give you any specific number for exactly how much bone is supposed to be in the puppy's diet. I plain simply do not believe that anybody has enough knowledge to provide such a number - and if they thought they did, then I will dispute exactly that, based on the math principles I have tried to explain.

You will notice too that there are no numbers given in the examples of specific diets. That is for this very same reason! If you try to specify numbers, you will be guilty of making mistakes by overinterpreting details that don't matter in the perspective of the overall complexity of the matter and the individual needs.

Please let me know if this clarifies things.

Cheers,

Mogens Eliasen

http://k9joy.com/RauweVoedingVoorHonden ... ?camp=5_em (Dutch)
or
http://k9joy.com/RawFoodForDogs/index.php?camp=5_em (English)
Laatst gewijzigd door Lizzy op di 27 jan 2004, 15:00, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Ik vroeg hem dus of wolvenpups dan ook zoveel bot eten en zij dan niet in de problemen zouden komen met de hoeveelheid eiwitten.

zijn antwoord daarop

I think you are right about wolf puppies not eating that much bone. They don't. But they don't get fed every day either...

They do need the bone to build muscle and bone themselves, and as long as they grow, they need more than an adult dog does for this. Adult dogs, however, do not NEED a lot of bone. They thrive well on bones, though - and they like them! And, again, using them as a filler makes sense - because the alternative will be to do more fasting than people generally like... It is a balance act.

It is wrong to consider bone as a calcium source. It is, but it is much more. It is important to understand that the dog is dependent on calcium and phosphorous being in balance with each other - and in bones, they are! (You can see more about this in my article http://k9joy.com/dogarticles/dogfood01cap.pdf, which you are welcome to publish.)

The thing is that a lot of bones does no harm - except for a possible constipation. If the puppy gets too much, the excess calcium and phosporous is simply not absorbs but sent out with the poop.

I have seen a lot of those studies about calcium - and they are all conducted on kibble - with calcium added without any concern or respect for the calcium/phosporous balance, so it is no wonder that it causes problems. But when you conclude from this that "bones are bad, because they are an excellent source of calcium", you are plain simply making incorrect conclusion based on those studies. I have yet to see just a single study of raw fed dogs on no artificial supplements getting too much calcium.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Mogens
http://k9joy.com/RauweVoedingVoorHonden ... ?camp=5_em (Dutch)
or
http://k9joy.com/RawFoodForDogs/index.php?camp=5_em (English)
Laatst gewijzigd door Lizzy op di 27 jan 2004, 15:30, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Ik vind het een zeer duidelijk en goed antwoord en ik voel me er wel comfortabel bij. Als ik vandaag of morgen tijd heb, zal ik proberen de highlights in het Nederlands te vertalen.

De stelling dat een hoger percentage botten in ieder geval de hoeveelheid eiwitten omlaag haalt vind ik wel sterk. En, met name voor mensen die geen graan willen voeren handig om te weten hoe je eiwitgehalte kan verlagen voor de pup: groente en botten. En, al 100 keer gevraagd maar nooit antwoord op gekregen: een teveel aan calcium en fosfor wordt dus uitgescheiden. Ook door de pup.

Groetjes, Lizzy
Laatst gewijzigd door Lizzy op di 27 jan 2004, 15:31, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Door roger
<< The thing is that I do NOT want you to "just take some numbers" and make them into religion... Dogs and puppies are individual and there is no standard numbers that fit all. You have to experiment with it so you can find your own standards, within an overall frame that makes sense. My recommendations are not to be taken that strictly that you can just copy numbers and believe you are doing OK....every puppy and dog has different needs.<<

Dat zegt al heel veel Paul, .....aan de basis hebben ze wel gemeen dat het alle twee rauw is :D :D :D, dat is dus toch al iets !

Gr.
Roger.
Vind persoonlijk de stelling van die Eliasen heel gevaarlijk. Te veel calcium leidt nl. onherroepelijk tot te weinig spieropbouw. Ik zou daar bij een puppy in de groei liever niet mee experimenteren.
gr.
Nicolette
oebaya schreef: Vind persoonlijk de stelling van die Eliasen heel gevaarlijk. Te veel calcium leidt nl. onherroepelijk tot te weinig spieropbouw. Ik zou daar bij een puppy in de groei liever niet mee experimenteren.
gr.
Nicolette
Waar heeft hij het dan over TEVEEL bot? Hij praat over twee keer de hoeveelheid die hij een volwassen hond zou geven. Dan praat je dus over max. 30% bot. Lijkt mij persoonlijk niks mis mee, zeker gezien het feit dat teveel calcium wordt uitgescheiden (stel je geeft 40% of 45%) en er nog steeds veel andere voedingsstoffen overblijven die absoluut voorkomen dat er te weinig spieropbouw zal plaatsvinden. Ik vind juist dat hij een goed evenwicht probeert te vinden tussen niet teveel of te weinig eiwit en niet teveel of te weinig calcium.... Misschien heb ik iets gemist?
Laatst gewijzigd door Lizzy op di 27 jan 2004, 15:31, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Door roger
En met experimenteren bedoeld hij dan waarschijnlijk experimenteren binnen het redelijke.
Hij geeft in zijn boek zelf aan dat een volwassen schaap ongeveer 15 % bot heeft, een konijn heeft ongeveer 10 % bot dan zit je altijd juist binnen een marge van 10 à 25 % .
Als je dus opdrijft naar 25 % en er komen achteraan witte knikkers uit waar je bosduiven mee kan afknallen, dan weet je toch dat je te veel bot geeft en dan minder je toch? zulk een experimenteren bedoeld hij volgens mij.

niet direkt 45 %?50 % ? , ik heb ooit gelezen dat een "barf- goeroe" rustig schreef "ik durf tot 80 % bot gaan "
Heb niet gezegd, dat Eliasen te veel geeft, maar dat dat experimenteren me gevaarlijk. Of het nu wordt uitgescheiden of niet, een te veel aan calcium gaat ten koste van de spierontwikkeling.
Heb het nog eens nagekeken in Het groot hondenboek van dr. Verwer om te kijken wat wij vroeger deden: kleine rassen mespuntje van een kalkpreparaat, , grote rassen 3 theelepels per dag en de ander rassen iets er tussenin. Daarbij werden dan 2 A-D druppels of in plaats daarvan wat levertraan over het eten gedaan.
Nu weet ik ook wel, dat een heel bot niet makkelijk te vergelijken is met een kalkpreparaat, maar ik denk toch dat je vreselijk moet oppassen met calcium.
gr.
Nicolette
oebaya schreef: Heb niet gezegd, dat Eliasen te veel geeft, maar dat dat experimenteren me gevaarlijk. Of het nu wordt uitgescheiden of niet, een te veel aan calcium gaat ten koste van de spierontwikkeling.
Heb het nog eens nagekeken in Het groot hondenboek van dr. Verwer om te kijken wat wij vroeger deden: kleine rassen mespuntje van een kalkpreparaat, , grote rassen 3 theelepels per dag en de ander rassen iets er tussenin. Daarbij werden dan 2 A-D druppels of in plaats daarvan wat levertraan over het eten gedaan.
Nu weet ik ook wel, dat een heel bot niet makkelijk te vergelijken is met een kalkpreparaat, maar ik denk toch dat je vreselijk moet oppassen met calcium.
gr.
Nicolette
Hoi Nicolette, aha, dus je bedoelde het experimenteren. Ik sluit me 100% aan bij Roger. Hij heeft het over een hele kleine marge waarbinnen wel geexperimenteerd kan worden in mijn ogen. En nee, geen enkel calcium preparaat kan vergeleken worden met rauwe botten! Dat is nou het mooie van deze manier van voeren (rauwe botten)! Je hoeft dus niet op de mg. te wegen! De concentratie van een Ca supplement ligt hoger (in mijn ogen), de opname is totaal anders en volgens mij kan een natuurlijke vorm van calcium (bot) ook veel makkelijker uitgescheiden worden. Maar goed, neemt inderdaad niet weg dat je niet iedere dag bezopen grote hoeveelheden bot aan je pup moet gaan geven....
Wat ik mij afvraag als fokker is dit,als ik moet gaan expiremteren met mijn pups zijn daar al aardig wat nesten aan voorbij zonder dat ik weet of het goed was wat ik deed,aangezien afwijkingen niet direct gaan opvallen ,zoals tannetje ergens in een andere topic opmerkte,als je het niet goed doet kan daar tien jaar overheen gaan eer je de ellende ervan krijgt.
Als ik mijn puppen teveel kalk geef en er komen skelet of spierafwijkingen zullen die ook niet direkt te bemerken zijn en als je ze bemerkt ben je al telaat want zulke afwijkingen zijn vaak niet meer terug te draaien.
 Terug naar “Vragen, Problemen en Discussie BARF”

Barfplaats wordt gesponsord door