Hier kun je al je vragen en problemen kwijt met betrekking tot de gezondheid. Raadpleeg uw dierenarts bij twijfel of urgente zaken.

Moderator: Lizzy

Eierstokken laten zitten!

Goed nieuws voor iedereen die geen risico wil lopen op een baarmoederontsteking maar wel graag zijn/haar teefje verder in takt laat zodat ze nog wel loops wordt en er niks verziekt wordt aan het dier?!!

Dr. Michelle Kutzler, an Expert in Animal Reproductive Physiology, Performs a Modified Spay Procedure That Preserves the Ovaries

Today I’ve invited an expert to discuss this topic in much more detail with us. Her name is Dr. Michelle Kutzler.

Dr. Kutzler graduated from veterinary school in 1993 and spent four years in a mixed-animal private practice in Minnesota. She became a diplomate of the American College of Theriogenologists in 1999 (theriogenologists are experts in animal reproduction), and received a Ph.D. in physiology from Cornell University in 2002.  Dr. Kutzler is currently working in the Department of Animal Science at Oregon State University and has published scientific papers on a variety of animal reproduction topics.

I actually found Dr. Kutzler’s demo video on how to perform an ovary-sparing spay procedure online. This procedure involves removal of the uterus while leaving the ovaries in place. It renders the dog sterile, but still able to produce important hormones. I contacted Dr. Kutzler and asked if she would consider talking with us about this topic, and she graciously agreed.

I expressed to Dr. Kutzler that her video was very enlightening and refreshing to see. I asked her to talk a little about how she decided to specialize in reproductive issues.

Dr. Kutzler explained that she first became interested in the subject during her undergraduate training at Washington State University, where she took a required course in reproduction. The instructor, Dr. Ray Wright, who is emeritus faculty at WSU, was very inspirational. Dr. Kutzler realized at that time that she wanted to specialize in veterinary reproduction.

Dr. Kutzler’s Ovary-Sparing Spay Procedure

Next, I asked Dr. Kutzler when she decided she would not only acquire these new sterilization skills for herself, but also help other vets learn them.

She replied that much of it came through her association with Elaine Lissner and the Parsemus Foundation. Ms. Lissner was also concerned about removing ovaries as part of surgical sterilization and was really the impetus for developing the video to train other veterinarians on how to perform the procedure. Dr. Kutzler says she felt comfortable talking to vets over the phone, trying to walk them through the steps, but Lissner believed they really needed a video they could watch. She provided the Parsemus Foundation website as a source to launch the video for anyone to view.

The video the Parsemus Foundation is hosting is really a significant gift to veterinarians who are interested in learning more about ovary-sparing spays, because the information has not been widely available. You can find mention of the procedure in journals and a few surgical textbooks, but seeing it with your own eyes is incredibly helpful.

I asked Dr. Kutzler when she started modifying her spay technique. She answered that she believes it was in 2011 – the same year the video was produced. It was during that year that she started performing the procedure. Dr. Kutzler goes on to explain that the majority of procedures she and her colleagues perform are still routine ovariohysterectomies.

Oregon State University’s veterinary college teaches both the traditional ovariohysterectomy as well as ovariectomy (removal of the ovaries only while leaving the uterus), but does not teach the modified spay surgery as it is still considered fairly controversial and is viewed negatively by many surgeons and veterinarians. Again, because it is a new technique, there is a very narrow foundation of scientific research available at the current time.

The Difference Between Traditional Spaying and an Ovary-Sparing Spay

I asked Dr. Kutzler if she actually developed the ovary-sparing spay technique herself or learned it from someone else. She responded, “I guess you could say I developed it.” She explained that she followed anatomy and veterinary surgery textbook guidelines on the location of the vasculature that needs to be ligated (tied up/closed off), and how to remove the uterus without removing the ovaries.

Technically, the procedure is similar to an ovariohysterectomy. The main differences are that the incision needs to be made further back (caudal) because it’s important to remove the entire cervix. Instead of ligating the ovarian pedicle between the ovary and the dorsal body wall (instead of ligating the ovarian vessels), you’re doing the ligation between the ovary and the uterine horn or across the uterine tubes. So technically, the two procedures are fairly similar.

Of course, the first few times you do a new procedure it’s going to take you longer. You’re going to want to consult with other members of your practice to make sure you’re doing things correctly. Dr. Kutzler says she can appreciate those insecurities because that’s how she felt when she performed her first anal gland removal.

She explained that she never learned how to do that particular surgery while in veterinary school, but she had to do it once she started practicing. She put pictures of the anatomy and also of the surgical procedure on the wall of the surgery room. This is how she approaches new surgical techniques that aren’t commonly taught in veterinary school but are needed in a companion animal practice.

Meer hier: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... edure.aspx

En nu nog een dierenarts in Nederland vinden die deze operatie kan uit voeren! Ik ga direct een paar dierenklinieken aanschrijven!
Lizzy schreef: Eierstokken laten zitten!

Goed nieuws voor iedereen die geen risico wil lopen op een baarmoederontsteking maar wel graag zijn/haar teefje verder in takt laat zodat ze nog wel loops wordt en er niks verziekt wordt aan het dier?!!

En nu nog een dierenarts in Nederland vinden die deze operatie kan uit voeren! Ik ga direct een paar dierenklinieken aanschrijven!
Ik heb niet het stuk gelezen *zit even in een ontspanningsmode* maar technisch gezien moet elke dierenarts dit kunnen uitvoeren. Het gaat er meer om of ze het willen uitvoeren  ;)

Wie weet vandaag even tijd om het te laten lezen. Voortschrijdend inzicht is altijd leuk  :)
hannabelgje schreef: Nee maar als je hond toch onder het mes moet dan zou ik liever de eierstokken laten weghalen dat ze ook niet meer schijnzwanger kunnen worden, geen bmo en ook geen mamatumoren meer kunnen krijgen.
Ik kan geen reden bedenken (voor mezelf) waarom ik alleen de baarmoeder weg zou laten halen.
Omdat de hormoonhuishouding dan niet op zijn gat komt te liggen? Omdat er aangetoond is dat castreren van teven niet altijd zo rooskleurig is als men denkt?
K&D schreef: En de kans op incontinentie is dan ook minder groot?
Want dat zou wel een groot voordeel kunnen zijn.
De kans op skelet problemen (waaronder botkanker) is minder groot en de kans op andere skelet problemen is minder groot en de kans op incontinentie is minder groot (gelijk aan ongecastreerde teven).

En ik ben niet bang voor borstkliertumoren Hannabelgje. Ik vind botkanker enger. Idem voor het verzieken van de hormoonhuishouding om 100 andere redenen.
Laatst gewijzigd door Lizzy op ma 27 apr 2015, 18:23, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
 Terug naar “Vragen en Problemen over gezondheid”

Barfplaats wordt gesponsord door